Friday, July 6, 2012
It's JoBecka again! This week I made a big step. I purchased my first race photo! I have ran a few marathons and I have always wanted to purchase a picture but I never have. They are ridiculously priced and I always look like someone who is running a marathon. BUT, I had to have this picture. To me, it symbolizes the running community and why I love to be apart of it. This was from my October marathon in St. George. I love the St. George marathon. The course is fast but hard (Everyone assumes it is all down hill, I'm here to testify that it is NOT!!!) The race is amazingly organized and there are showers as soon as you cross the finish line. I love it.
This last year I was hoping for a new PR. I was on track for a 3:25 marathon until mile 22. The hotter it became the more tired and pissed off I got. I slowed down and, heaven forbid, I walked a few steps. I'm the girl in the orange. The guy in the orange, whom I'm about to give a high-five, became my new best friend at mile 23.
We started playing leap frog around mile 23. It was one of those moments when someone passes you and then you get pissed and have to pass them. At this point in the game, I'll take anything to keep me going. At mile 25 he started to walk. I said, "You can't walk now! We are so close let's get this stupid race over." He agreed and we picked up the pace. I started to slack and he immediately chastised me. We kept pushing each other then the last 100 yards we both started to sprint. (if you can call it that after 26.1 miles) he pulled ahead by a hair and beat me over the finish line. We were both so ecstatic that a spontaneous high-five erupted between us. I would have kissed him if I didn't want to make it to the showers so bad!
We walked into the water spray and that was the last I saw him. I don't know his name and I never saw him again. At that moment he meant more to me than any other person. He pulled me through a super-human experience and I love him for it. Even though I didn't get my PR, I finished the race strong and happy. That would not have happened if I didn't have someone to share it with. I love the support I get from my husband, family and friends. But, it takes a runner to know a runner and that's what I love about the community. I love the excitement before the race. I love the expos. I love that I'm constantly checking the weather the week before. Most of all I just love runners. I love their crazy, obsessiveness and the fact that it's based on individual merit but a shared experience.
Cheers,
JoBecka
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This picture makes me excited!!!! That will be us in a few months...can't wait!
ReplyDelete