Friday, June 8, 2012

Family Pictures

Family pictures. I have a love/hate relationship with them. When they turn out I can't stop staring at them. But, when they don't it makes me realize that, like family, it's not always perfect. Take this picture for example. It is our most recent picture taken at my brother-in-laws wedding. My 4 year old daughter Harper. Is starting to wilt like the beautiful flowers she is holding. This was an incredibly big day for her. At the ring ceremony, Harper carried the rings down the aisle (to her new aunt which Harper would rather refer to as "the princess").  Harper spent the day looking beautiful and playing the part of the perfect niece but when this picture was taken her facade was cracking and the 4 year old was breaking free. Don't get me wrong Harper is a darling. But, a little girl can only be sweet for so long.

Hank is my two year old son. He is a cyclone of energy. It might be difficult to tell by my husband Matt's dashing smile but he is restraining Hank. Hank's first problem was he had to many clothes on and they were mostly pink. He found an activity to off set the sweet colors. He spent most of the evening on the balcony dropping dirt from the flower pots on unsuspecting guests. It is hard to tell by his angelic looks but his curiosity can match a certain monkey we all know and love.

Then there is my striking husband Matt. He is the calm in the eye of our storm. While the kids and I flit around he is our grounding force. His wit surpasses his height and his charming personality sets everyone at ease. I often call on him for comic relief. His most annoying trait is when I'm mad and want to rant and rave he makes me open my eyes and see all perspectives. I suppose that if his annoying trait makes me a better person than it can't be that bad.

I'm last. I'm in my egyptian phase right now. Matt calls me Nefertari, which suites me just fine. I like to try out different personas. I love to read and my reading creates my fantasies. I also love to run. Mary Jo and I got into the St. George marathon and we are looking to set new PRs. I'm sure you are going to find out all about me. I would love to know all about you. If anything I say strikes a cord let me know. We'll all sisters just trying to find our way in this crazy, busy world.

3 comments:

  1. you do look like the perfect family, I am glad to see that you realize that the best of time bring on the worst of times. Harper was the little princess for the day and Hank was the normal 2 year old. I am glad you work together as a team, just like in running when you are tired and wanta walk, there is some one there to kick butt and get you going. such is marriage, when a all day baby tending session happens which is most days there is a great guy to come home and ease the pressure by taking over the kids activites. Call Husband. Reconizing this and being grateful is a big part of life. V finlinson

    ReplyDelete
  2. you do look like the perfect family, I am glad to see that you realize that the best of time bring on the worst of times. Harper was the little princess for the day and Hank was the normal 2 year old. I am glad you work together as a team, just like in running when you are tired and wanta walk, there is some one there to kick butt and get you going. such is marriage, when a all day baby tending session happens which is most days there is a great guy to come home and ease the pressure by taking over the kids activites. Call Husband. Reconizing this and being grateful is a big part of life. V finlinson

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do have a picture perfect family, Harper is a lttle princess and looks like one.Hank is a happy 2 year old, doing what they do best exploring and discovering. A family unit is like running friends the pick you up when you are down and get you to the finish line. After a long day tending childing moms need that little pick me up like Dad to come home play with the kids so moms can finish the day in style just like finishing the race. Appreciation is the key for each race we run whether it be at home or on the road.Keep up the good job. VF

    ReplyDelete