| Finishing my first half marathon Prison Break, 2008 |
| my neighbor & friend, David, & I after finishing my first half |
After my husband & I went in for her ultrasound, I knew, without a doubt, that our family was complete...Reagan would be our last. Two thoughts flooded my mind. First, relief. Never again would I have to experience 3-4 months of nausea & feeling totally crappy, tired, emotional...9 months of feeling like I was living on the outside watching everyone else live their happy, healthy lives. Next thought was, "what do I do now?" I know...crazy thought...since I had 4 children to raise. But, I really did feel a little lost.
When I had my oldest, Ernie, I was young & always planned my life around the kids I had & when we were going to plan to have our next one. I was so focused on them that I never took care of myself. I hardly wore makeup, never really felt like I wore the latest style, & I NEVER made time to exercise.
Now, here I was...reaching the end of a stage...birthing children. I instantly felt old, even though I was only 32. Being overweight (not able to get the weight off from my 3rd & 4th baby) didn't help either. So, 6 months after Reagan was born, I really felt like I had adjusted (if there ever is such a thing) to having 4 kids & I starting feeling freedom & a desire to take care of ME!!!
I started an exercise routine (with the help of Greg) of lifting weights & cardio. Joining a gym was intimidating to me, so I bought some hand held weights & an exercise bike & worked out consistently at home. 5 weeks in, I enhanced my diet & I started loosing weight & fast. I was HOOKED!!!!! I felt better &, for the first time, I really felt like I could focus on me...not just the kids.
I became addicted to exercising & looked forward to it everyday. After loosing close to 30 lbs. & finally getting in shape, I decided I would take a leap & go for a run. My husband has been running since I've known him & I had always envied him for that. (I should note that I had tried running in the past & HATED IT!!!!) My goal was to see if I could run 2 miles. Well, to make a long story short, I did & I loved it!!!!
There really is nothing like running. It is a sport that I can do just for me. I can go early in the morning, before the madness of the day begins. I can listen to whatever songs I want, as loud as I want, & I can run anywhere I want & for as long as I want. It is all about me. I can think clearly without any distractions. I can feel my heart pumping & I get such a high!!! When I finish a run, I love that feeling of complete exhaustion. Biking & swimming are great workouts, but they don't come close to making me feel the way running does. I could go on & on about my love for this sport, but really, when it comes down to it, I have such a passion for running!
Mary Jo
Love this post, Jo! Made me tear up! You are such an inspiration! Love you:)
ReplyDelete